This position has now been filled
APFA Research, Development and Extension Coordinator
2 year Fixed-Term Contract Opportunity
Closing Date: 14 October 2019
Vacancy Number: APFA-RD&E-01
The Australian Prawn Farmers Association (APFA) was formed in 1993 to represent the interests and foster the development of the Australian prawn farming industry. The Association is a key contact for investors, new farmers and firms wishing to do business with the Australian prawn farming sector.
The Australian prawn farming industry now produces over 4,500 tonnes (2016-17) of product annually with a value estimated at over $85 million (2016-17) and currently provides up to 300 full time equivalent jobs. The industry is currently undergoing rapid expansion leading to more exciting opportunities.
The Australian prawn farming industry recognises the importance of investing in RD&E as a vehicle for a sustainable and profitable future.
In 2001 the Australian prawn farming industry became the first Australian seafood sector to implement a compulsory federal levy based on production, to fund research and development.
This helps raise approximately $350,000 annually for investment in prawn aquaculture RD&E.
This new position has been created to maximise leveraging of our R&D funds and assist in the full realisation of benefits for the RD&E investment by industry.
In the role of Research, Development and Extension Coordinator you will:
- Identify sources of funding for research activities based on the APFA R&D Strategic Plan;
- Apply for grants and funding for research activities;
- Coordinate successful research activities in a collaborative manner;
- Guide and assist the development of applications that align with APFA R&D strategic planning and advice from industry;
- Manage communication and extension of R&D outcomes to industry;
- Monitor and report on how project outcomes deliver on the APFA R&D Strategic Plan;
- Liaise with, and assist, project stakeholders to ensure outcomes for the industry;
- Ensure the best use of resources and best practice;
- Ensure effective and rapid dissemination, extension and update of the outcomes of RD&E as directed by APFA to members;
- Report on project/s status to APFA and members;
- Develop an annual industry report including percentage gain towards strategic plan;
- Present on the status and outcomes of the project/s each year at the APFA symposium;
- Fully understand all projects currently underway, how they affect members and efficiently and effectively amalgamate similar projects;
- Undertake any adhoc duties as required or directed; and
- Organise R&D meetings for the APFA R&D Sub Committee.
This position reports directly to the APFA Executive Officer and to the APFA R&D Committee Chair at R&D meetings.
Note some travel may be required.
Key Position Requirements
- Tertiary qualifications in any relevant research / science / business field or relevant industry experience.
- Demonstrated personal drive, integrity and a love of learning.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop positive professional relationships with industry, government and NGOs, research agencies and/or stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to write funding applications.
- Demonstrated ability to read and understand research projects and applications and prepare accurate briefs.
- Understanding of the Australian seafood industry is desirable along with a keen interest in encouraging the sustainable development of the Australian aquaculture industry.
- Commitment to APFA’s strategic direction, Rules of Association and governance.
- 2 year full time contract with flexible working hours based on 38 hours per week
- 4 weeks annual leave
- 2 weeks sick leave
- 9.5% superannuation
- Work in a great industry currently undergoing rapid growth!
Applicants are required to submit the following:
- Current Resume including two (2) professional referees
- A 2 page statement of claims addressing the Key Position Requirements.
Please include the Vacancy Number: APFA-RD&E-01 in the subject line of your email.
We are interested in how your skills, knowledge and experience indicate your ability to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position. Your responses and resume will be assessed against the Key Position Requirements as the basis for shortlisting.
To submit your application, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close Monday, 14 October 2019 at 4:00pm (AST).